Re: [ft] Can't compile freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Can't compile freetype
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 07:39:58 +0100 (CET)

> I'm having issues compiling Freetype2 library for ARM
> microcontroller, I tried to link it as static library by making it
> by GNU make but it failed.
>
> Currently trying to build it from source files, I followed the
> instructions on how to build it ,
>
> * I copied all the required file into the project.
>
> * included the ft2build.h file and FT_FREETYPE
>
> * included the "include" directory to the search path
>
> * "#define FT2_BUILD_LIBRARY" to include the file internal.h
>
> when compiling I get over 60 errors, I found that some #include
> directories are not recognised such as #include FT_INTERNAL_DEBUG_H
> and #include FT_INTERNAL_OBJECTS_H, these macros are defined in
> internal.h which should be included in the project when defining
> "FT2_BUILD_LIBRARY"

Isn't this somehow obvious?  If you define `FT2_BUILD_LIBRARY' to
include file `internal.h', this file must be found...

Anyways, please suggest an improvement to the documentation.

> attached is a screen shot of my project (file included from the
> library) and the second one is couple of the error messages that I
> got.

I think that your setup doesn't properly include FreeType's internal
header files.  No idea why your IDE continues if header files aren't
found; theoretically, it should simply abort.

For example, `FALSE' is defined in `internal/ftobjs.h' (via the
`FT_INTERNAL_OBJECTS_H' macro), so for building the library all header
files in the `internal' subdirectory must be accessible.