[ft] Getting accurate metrics width and height for glyphs

From: Stephan B.
Subject: [ft] Getting accurate metrics width and height for glyphs
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 13:54:15 -0700

Hi!

Currently when I try to retrieve the metrics of a given scaled glyph using
FT_LOAD_COMPUTE_METRICS, the width and height returned vs. the width and
rows of the bitmap produced using FT_LOAD_RENDER, are the same. However,
when performing the same operation using FT_LOAD_COMPUTE_METRICS |
FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING, the metrics are usually off by potentially 1 pixel
compared to the bitmap.

I can obviously use FT_LOAD_RENDER, and use the width and rows of the bitmap
to determine the width and height of the glyph and not rely on those metrics
but that comes at a performance cost. So is it possible to get accurate
width and height of (width and rows) of what the bitmap will be without
having to use FT_LOAD_RENDER and if so how?

P.S. I would have expected this behavior with hinting but not when not using
hinting. I must be overlooking something here.

Currently using version 2.8.0.