[ft] are there font types for which FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE is supposed to fa

From: Kevin Rogovin
Subject: [ft] are there font types for which FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE is supposed to fail?
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 16:44:00 +0300

Hi,

  A font on my Ubuntu
distribution: /usr/share/fonts/opentype/noto/NotoSansCJK-Regular.ttc does
not seem to cooperate loading glyphs without recursion. Specifically, I
load with the options:

 FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE | FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING
    | FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP | FT_LOAD_IGNORE_TRANSFORM
    | FT_LOAD_LINEAR_DESIGN | FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE

(I realize that a number of flags imply others, but I like to be explicit).
For this .ttc font, loading the font this way gives that all glyphs have no
outline but also no sub-glyphs. Dropping the FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE option, I
get outlines (but naturally no sub-glyph data). On the other hand, for a
number of .ttf fonts I get the sub-glyphs just fine with the above flags.
For reference, I am running with an unmodified freetype-2.9.

Is there something that I am missing in this situation?

Best Regards,
 -Kevin Rogovin