Re: [ft] How to implement cleartype rendering effect on windows ce7with

From: R0b0t1
Subject: Re: [ft] How to implement cleartype rendering effect on windows ce7with freetype
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 18:45:38 -0500

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:38 AM, 哈尔滨工程大学 朱国梁 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear R0b0t1:
>
> l am glad that you can give me some advice. I am not very familiar with
> freetype but I read some materials online and I think freetype is excellent
> lib to  solve the problem that write fonts on OpenGLES2.0. After I get font
> bitmap with freetype, I treat the bitmap as an texture on OpenGLES. However,
> I find that there are a little difference between my fonts and the native
> fonts. I give you sample picture of me.

I tried to do something similar and had similar problems. I was never
able to duplicate the system fonts, though I was able to get close
with Lucidia Console.

> It is true that my fonts exhibit a little shadows unders characters of some
> parts when I use FT_LOAD_DEFAULT and FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL.
>
> In your email, you said that I should remove antialising, what is that
> really means? Is that I should use FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING?

Try FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME. You should also play around with hinting. I am
not sure how to change this in Microsoft's API. You can compare your
results to Microsoft's renderer by passing NONANTIALIASED_QUALITY to
CreateFont for antialiasing.

It might be wise to abstract your API so that it can support more than
one font engine.

> What's more, when I use the interpreter version 35 that, the font is more
> clear.
>
> I will be very delight that if you can give me some advice.

I do not have much more information. I am still working through this
myself, though I have mostly given up until I can get more information
from somewhere.

Please make sure you post to the list - on some mailing lists, you
need to hit "reply all."

Cheers,
     R0b0t1