Re: [ft] FreeType Debugging

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] FreeType Debugging
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:09:27 +0200 (CEST)

> 1) I am trying to debug the Type1 driver by printing some error
>    messages using FT_ERROR MACRO. I have defined both #define
>    FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_ERROR, #define FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE MACROS in
>    ftoption.h to use FT_ERROR.

OK.

> For testing i have created a client application which takes the name
> of type1 font and prints the text on screen by applying that font
> style (which means that type1 driver will be invoked ).  But its not
> printing any message, but application is working perfectly using
> FreeType.

Which platform?  On Unix-like systems, tracing and error messages are
sent to stderr.  On Windows, GUI applications can't emit data to
stderr, AFAIK.  You should rather use `builds/windows/ftdebug.c'.

> 2) I tried another way for debugging by writing to an external text
>    file the same text message after the same line of code but it
>    didn't work.  So is it possible to create and write to external
>    files i.e. outside FreeType?

By default, FreeType doesn't have support for such a feature.  In most
cases it is fully sufficient to redirect stderr to a file.  On the
other hand you can certainly replace the `ftdebug.c' component with
something else.