Re: [ft] Permanently disable antialiasing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Permanently disable antialiasing
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 06:30:56 +0100 (CET)

>>> I wish to build freetype2 library that never does antialiasing on
>>> it's output whatever application calls.
>>
>> Really?  Only B/W rendering?  This looks very ugly for most modern
>> fonts.
>>
>>> But I can't see simple switch for that elsewhere. Is it possible?
>>
>> No, it's not possible.  There is no switch to do that.  You would
>> have to patch the sources, namely (a) to disable the AA rasterizer,
>> and (b) to always use the `FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO' glyph loading flag.
>
> Maybe Anatoly's output medium is an LED screen :)

Fair point.  Anyways, there is no option for that, and I won't add
one.  The patch I mentioned would be a small, namely to add the
lines

  if ( load_flags & FT_LOAD_RENDER )
  {
    load_flags &= 0xFFF0FFFFL; /* unset rendering modes */
    load_flags |= FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO;
  }

near the beginning of `FT_Load_Glyph', and

  render_mode = FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO;

near the beginning of `FT_Render_Glyph' (untested).  Maybe there are
more spots to handle in the source code; I haven't checked this
thoroughly.