Re: [ft] Failure in loading U+033F in DejaVu fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Failure in loading U+033F in DejaVu fonts
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 09:56:19 +0200 (CEST)

> I updated the simplest fix in my hand.  I was going to commit it to
> head of git repository, but savannah is in some network trouble.
> Attached is the patch, but if anybody wants, I will make a "make
> dist" tarball which is ready to "./configure && make".  please let
> me know.

Savannah seems to be back, so please proceed!

> Also I have more complex patch using same strategy but do not rely
> on arbitrary usage of GID.  I think the current patch would work on
> the platforms whose default pointer is 32-bit.  For the platform
> whose default pointer is 16-bit or shorter, some fonts having 64k
> glyphs can confuse the simplest fix.

I haven't tested 16bit support since years, given that you can't
create 16bit code with gcc.[*] However, I've just found in the
internet that recent clang versions support an `-m16' option that
apparently produces valid 16bit code!  So you might test compilation
of FreeType with this option, but I guess that you will find zillions
of problems...

Today, I'm no longer sure whether 16bit support makes sense at all, so
maybe you shouldn't spend time on this.

    Werner

[*] Option `-m16' introduced in gcc 4.9.0 doesn't provide a real 16bit
    environment; it has a special usage for bootloader code and the
    like.