Re: [ft] How to use freetype for embedded projects?

From: Grissiom
Subject: Re: [ft] How to use freetype for embedded projects?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 18:48:38 +0800

Hello,

I'm a freetype user rather than freetype dev. I've ported FreeType to RT-Thread which is a embedded RTOS( https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread ). So I would like to share some experiences with you.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 7:32 PM, TINTU THOMAS <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello freetype team ,

     I am a newbie to freetype and embedded system too. I want to use freetype functions in my embedded application (Details are given below).

At first i tried the instructions given in "http://www.freetype.org".

I could successfully complete a c project as in "example1.c" in ubuntu, which can display the raster image created by the freetype .

But  I don't know how to link freetype library to keil ide or coocox ide.

I tried copying libfreetype.so file from ubuntu and linked it  in the coocox project. But it cannot identify the library.

Since you are using Keil or CooCox, I assume you are running an RTOS instead of Linux. So you could not link freetype dynamically in general. Besides, for embedded programming, you are likely to have to cross-compiling, which means that you cannot just use the lib in your Desktop OS on the board.

IMHO, you should manually add the freetype source files to your project in Keil/CooCox. You can get some hints in  docs/INSTALL.ANY of the source tarball how to compile it.

--
Cheers,
Grissiom