Re: [ft] Working around a bad ascender value?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Working around a bad ascender value?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 07:48:29 +0200 (CEST)

> I’d rather just ignore font bugs, if a font is broken, it is broken,
> and whoever made the font should just fix it.

Amen.

> [...] the Win values should be big enough to fit the largest glyph
> in fonts, and even make room for combining marks since applications
> use it for clipping, [...]

Yes!  However, many popular fonts don't follow this rule, probably for
backwards compatibility reasons since usWinXXX values are originally
based on the Win ANSI character set only.  For example, the ascender
of glyph `Aringacute' in Microsoft's `arial.ttf' exceeds the
usWinAscent value by 10%.  In other words, this glyph gets always
clipped in older Windows versions, making the top acute disappear
completely.