Re: [ft] Freetype x86

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype x86
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:31:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Aleksandra!

> We have come across several great Android apps that are taking
> advantage of Freetype.  As far as I found out the Freetype does
> support Android x86 platforms natively, although this option is not
> set by default.

Basically, FreeType doesn't provide special support for *any*
platform.  Or to formulate it differently, FreeType should run on
*any* platform that comes with an ANSI C compiler.  The normal
configuration for compilation of our library uses the GNU autoconf
framework, which should be able to correctly derive the used platform.
If that fails, there are various means to override the incorrect
settings.

For some platforms, FreeType provides assembler routines for
time-critical functions.  One of them is for i386, and I guess that
this assembler code works on Android x86 also.

> We would like to know if there would be an interest from your side
> and opportunity to make the x86 version the default version of
> Freetype.

Please be more specific.  What exactly are the problems?  Are there
bug reports or similar things that we can analyze?