Re: [ft] Rendering differences between 2.3.12 and 2.5.3

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Re: [ft] Rendering differences between 2.3.12 and 2.5.3
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:43:53 +0100

On 23.11.2014 at 03:20 Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:

>> If the text rendered by freetype is only a little bit wider than it
>> used to be, whole words might suddenly end up on a new line
>> which can mess up the whole layout.

> You've got to admit that 2.5.3 looks better. :)

Yeah, but as Werner said, my customers probably won't agree if
they have to relayout hundreds of pages because of this change.

> Yes advances for emboldened text changed,
> but ultimately Freetype is not a text layout engine,
> so *you* can use old advances if you wish.

> This is the change that you want to undo for yourself
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=cea9d7a6820bf7cca8d79d813908ce085a3d3d5d

Does this also undo the changes to the italicized text? From
a quick glance at the diff it looks as if this affects
FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden() only. But as you can see in the two
pictures from my last mail, FT_GlyphSlot_Oblique() is also
affected.

Of course, patching freetype is not a very elegant solution
for me. I'd much prefer if there was a flag or something that
one could set to force the old look without having to hack
freetype... any chance for such a feature? I think full
backwards compatibility should be given high priority because
even if freetype is not meant as a layout engine, little
changes can break lots of things which implicitly forces
people to keep using older versions.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:address@hidden