[ft] Rendering differences between 2.3.12 and 2.5.3

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: [ft] Rendering differences between 2.3.12 and 2.5.3
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:48:16 +0100

I've been using freetype 2.3.12 for several years now in my application
and I am planning to update to the latest version soon. Unfortunately,
freetype 2.5.3 renders text that uses algorithmic emboldening or shearing
using FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden() and/or FT_GlyphSlot_Oblique() quite differently
than 2.3.12 did (cf. screenshots).

As I've customers who maintain projects that contain hundreds of pages
of freetype rendered text it's very important that the way text is
rendered is consistent with previous versions or it might break the
layout, especially in case automatic line wrapping is used. If the
text rendered by freetype is only a little bit wider than it used to
be, whole words might suddenly end up on a new line which can mess up
the whole layout.

That's why I'd like to ask whether there is any option to force freetype
2.5.3 to give me the old look of version 2.3.12 or am I forced to
stay with 2.3.12 forever now?

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:address@hidden