[ft] rendering of TrueType hints

From: Patrick Thomas
Subject: [ft] rendering of TrueType hints
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:51:02 -0700

Hi,

I'm not certain where the best place to ask this question might be and I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

I'm trying to hint a TrueType font using FontForge and Xgridfit on Ubuntu and I'm confused about why some pixels are not being rendered. I believe FontForge is using FreeType 2.

I'm using the following instructions in Xgridfit to turn off dropout control:

<pre-program>
    <set-dropout-control flags="0" threshold="0"/>
    <set-dropout-type value="2"/>
</pre-program>

My understanding is that a pixel should then be rendered if and only if its center falls within or on the resulting gridfitted outline?

In the attached screenshot from FontForge the coordinates of the final gridfitted points are (2,5), (0,7), (10,17) and (12,15) at 27 point, 96 dpi. I would then expect that the pixels with centers (2.5, 5.5) and (10.5, 16.5), which fall on the resulting outline, would be rendered, but they are not. The same relatively positioned pixels are also not rendered at other point sizes.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Patrick