[ft] weird hinting behavior

From: Derek B. Noonburg
Subject: [ft] weird hinting behavior
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:22:02 -0700 (PDT)

I'm seeing some really strange hinting behavior with the attached font
(which is a subset pulled out of a PDF file).

In particular, look at the "-" character:

ftview -m x-x-x-x 20 f25.ttf

If you change the font size, one point at a time, the hyphen comes and
goes -- at some sizes it looks fine, at other sizes it vanishes
entirely.

This only happens when using the native TrueType hints.  (Auto-hinting
works fine.)  I suspect there may be a bug in the font's hints -- is
there any way to verify that?

This is with FreeType 2.5.0.1 and ft2demos 2.5.0.

- Derek