Re: [ft] OTF rendered strangely at large sizes (mono)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] OTF rendered strangely at large sizes (mono)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 20:24:30 +0200 (CEST)

> This shows Brill (a high-quality free-for-non-commercial-use OTF)
> rendered through my driver at various sizes.  Notice how, at 144pt,
> all curves look 'squared-off' -- compare especially the letter 'e'
> at 144pt versus the other sizes.

[144pt at which resolution?  It's neither 72 nor 96dpi...]

> This phenomenon isn't specific to this font: it appears to occur
> with all OTF fonts.
>
> Could I be doing something wrong?

I have absolutely no explanation how you get these results, and I
can't repeat it on my GNU/Linux box.

> My code uses FT_Load_Glyph with FT_LOAD_DEFAULT and then
> FT_Render_Glyph with FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO.  (I can provide more
> details about my code as needed but I don't really know where to
> look at this point.)

My suggestion is that you write a small GNU/Linux command line
application which uses exactly the same font loading setup as in your
OS/2 driver.  Be sure to compile FreeType with activated debugging
support, then say

  FT2_DEBUG=any:7 your_command ... &> your_command.log

Compile and execute the command line application on your OS/2 box and
compare the log files (since they should be almost identical).
Hopefully, this gives a first hint where the problem is.