[ft] status of lcd text on linux

From: Felipe Heidrich
Subject: [ft] status of lcd text on linux
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:50:27 -0700

Hi all,

I work on JavaFX (part of the JDK8) and I'm trying to port all our font implementation to use native technologies (for example, on Mac I used CoreText, on Windows DirectWrite).

On Linux I used freetype but turns out it does not renders LCD.
If I want LCD I need to recompile freetype passing
-DFT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING

Then I remember that cairo (back when I supported the SWT/GTK port) had its own lcd filter. But as of cairo 1.10 that got removed and now (it seems) cairo relies on freetype for LCD text. Similar changed happened to Xft too.

What is the state of LCD text on Linux:
a) nobody uses LCD text on Linux anymore
b) are the distros building freetype with LCD support
c) those who care include their own build of freetype in their products.
d) those who care implement their own lcd filters
?

Thanks
Felipe Heidrich