[ft] Question about hinting and direct rendering

From: Ruslan Nikolaev
Subject: [ft] Question about hinting and direct rendering
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 22:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question regarding hinting (e.g., using TTF hinting rather than auto-hinting) and direct rendering. It seems that FT_Outline_Render can be used for direct rendering but will it actually use TTF hinting or I should use FT_Render_Glyph for that (i.e., no direct rendering)?

Also, I am confused about FT_Load_Glyph which loads a glyph to a slot. But a slot FT_GlyphSlotRec contains bitmap, does it mean that bitmap is already prepared by doing Load_Glyph? If so, how to avoid it for direct rendering?

Ruslan