Re: [ft] Memory management and stream I/O question (Freetype v1 --> v2)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Memory management and stream I/O question (Freetype v1 --> v2)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 06:26:28 +0100 (CET)

> When you say "does the right thing", does then FreeType actually
> close the streams after returning the requested data?

I don't think so, but if you tell me what functions you have to call,
I can look it up more closely.

>    Note #2: On exit of each function reading from font file the API
>    TT_Flush_Stream() must be called.

This is very vague.  Can you give an example?

> Now, I imagine I could grab the face->stream handle and close it
> myself.  In FT1, the library automatically re-opened the stream if
> necessary.  However, I'm not sure (looking through the FT2 code)
> that this is still the case.  I suppose I could add my own wrapper
> functions to do this, but I wanted to know if there was a better
> way.

Wrapping the code sounds just fine.

> I can of course provide the custom files (how?); I'm just noting
> that they are highly specialized.

Well, if your custom files are not useful to normal FreeType clients
(this is, ordinary OS/2 applications) I believe it is better that the
code gets directly included with the OS/2 font driver.

If you need FreeType fixes to non-custom files please tell us so that
we can add the needed functionality.