Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Large code changes without changing functionality

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Large code changes without changing functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:18:33 +0100 (CET)

> Doesn't the c879f24562cc21bb062fb2faa86633a6c8c2371a change have API
> implications?  Is the module error base visible to users?

Thanks for catching this, fixed now in git.  I doubt that many people
use module errors, however.

The reason that I still support this is the possibility for more
improvements: For example, instead of having `module errors', I could
register each single source code file and assigning an ID to it.  If I
now say that error codes are 32bit wide, the upper 16bit could hold
the line number, the next 8 bits a file ID and the lowermost bits the
real error code.  This would be a quite effective means to find out
the source code origin of returned error codes even in non-debug
builds.