Re: [ft] [ft-devel] FreeType 2.4.5 has been released

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] FreeType 2.4.5 has been released
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:17:43 +0300

On 06/29/2011 12:11 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
- If autohinting is not explicitly disabled, FreeType now uses the
   autohinter if a TrueType based font doesn't contain native hints.

By default, TT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING is not defined in
ftoption.h.  Do I need to define it in order to have this working as
a fall-back?

No.  Please forget about the unpatented hinting stuff: TrueType
hinting patents have expired.

I'm aware of that. The question regards TrueType fonts that don't contain native hints. The release notes mention that in this case, the autohinter is used. I take it that without the autohinter, the would be no hinting *at all*. So using the autohinter as a fallback in this case is better than nothing.

At least that's what the release notes are implying. And my question is if this works with TT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING undefined.