[ft] Query regarding FT_Set_Char_Size() usage

From: Vinayak SWARUP
Subject: [ft] Query regarding FT_Set_Char_Size() usage
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:29:32 +0800

Hi,

As per my understanding of the call FT_Set_Char_Size(). There are two sets
parameters that need to be defined to put a bitmap with correct size on a
display mechanism (say TV, monitor or paper in case of printer) correctly,
namely
a.  FT_F26Dot6  char_width,
    FT_F26Dot6  char_height,
These define the number of fractional points per character
b. FT_UInt     horz_resolution,
   FT_UInt     vert_resolution
These define number of pixels per inch.

Now if we were to use the call FT_Set_Char_Size() in a software scenario for
displaying bitmaps on a TV where we are provided with the following information
only:
1. video display resolution - say 1920x1080 that means we know the number of
horizontal pixels = 1920 and number of vertical pixels = 1080
2. font size - The unit of font size is in pixels, say in this case 200 x 200
pixels per character

I presume that the above two inputs are sufficient for the generation of a
monochrome bitmap in a bitmap memory. Here we do not require pixels per inch
information. What should be set for pixels per inch parameters(point b above)
in order to achieve the correct bitmap output?

Will the same call (FT_Set_Char_Size()) be used for such a requirement or is
there any other provision in the freetype font library?

Thanks & Regards,
Vinayak