Re: [ft] Existence of Autohinter in the Future ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Existence of Autohinter in the Future ?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:40:23 +0100 (CET)

> 1. Will the Autohinter still exist in the future, even that now the
>    Bytecode Patents are legal to use?

Yes.

> 2. One thing that, in my mind, is really bad about the Autohinter
>    that when i compare a Text written in Times New Roman and
>    Liberation Serif, which should have the same width, do not have
>    the same width.
>    Is there any way to fix this?

No.  Metrics and glyph shapes have no direct relation.  Normally,
TrueType fonts contain special bytecode which controls the glyph
width.  To make Times New Roman and Liberation Serif have the same
width, the bytecode for controlling the width must do the same.  The
autohinter doesn't access this bytecode.