Re: [ft] Compressing CJK Fonts effectively

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft] Compressing CJK Fonts effectively
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 03:38:16 +0900

It's interesting theme for CJK people, but difficult
to give quick answer.

The meaning of "embedded system" is too broad to guess
the system limitation, in comparison with desktop,
laptop, netbook or OLPC, please describe more :-)

# small ROM but large RAM?
# consuming CPU is better than consuming ROM/RAM?
# speed of rendering?
# etc etc

Recent generic lossless compressing technologies,
like rzip, would show better compression result,
but will consume more memory/CPU powers.

--

In addition, you want to compress TrueType losslessly?
Or, you don't mind to loss some informations in

W3C seems to work for new font format for web documents
(so the file size reduction would be important theme,
although memory/CPU consumation would not be so critical),
there is a possibility that you can find some interesting
technology.