Re: [ft] Question about Hinting

From: nicolas jean
Subject: Re: [ft] Question about Hinting
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:02:28 +0200

2010/5/26 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>

> Ok, so bad moving => bad rendering !

Yep.

> For example : I'm hinting a font for a size of 14. If I'm moving it
> with an integer number of pixels, it will be good

Yes.

> but if I'm zooming out/zooming in, problems will happen ?

Definitely.  Hinting is always tied to a given size.

> I think I have got a problem with the size of my characters because
> a glyph with a size of 28 is small, I think I must have the same
> height that I have in Word right?

28 points?  28 pixels?  28 inches?  At which resolution?  96 dpi?
600 dpi?

   Werner

I'm using :
FT_Set_Char_Size(face, 0, fontSize * 64, 72, 72);

It's 28 points, and the resolution is 72dpi. My glyph is bigger in Word but with ftdiff, I've got exactly the same size.
I guess that ftdiff uses Pixmap font ? I'm working with outline and activating Multisampling for the anti-alisaing is time consuming, moreover the results are always worse than ftdiff ( but better than without AA).

Nicolas