Re: [ft] [freetype] Bidirectional text ( arabic) glyph x advance

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] [freetype] Bidirectional text ( arabic) glyph x advance
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 09:41:28 +0200 (CEST)

> Arabic text is written from right to left.  When two Arabic
> characters are typed, the glyph advance x position for the text
> typed (original text before reshaping) is determined using freetype
> get glyph routine.

I have no idea how your layout engine works, but this approach looks
plain wrong to me.  The advance x position must be calculated *after*
reshaping, since normally the reshaped glyphs look differently and
thus have a different width.  In addition, if you use OpenType fonts,
the `GPOS' table can apply additional changes to the advance width if
necessary.