Re: [ft] Decomposing complicated glyphs

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [ft] Decomposing complicated glyphs
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:08:58 -0300

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
The contours stored within a TrueType font don't contain a flag which
indicates the orientation.

Am I required to collect up the points and analyze them to try and
resolve the ambiguity myself?

I think so.  It's rather easy to find out the direction of a contour –
I assume you know how to do that efficiently.

Ya, I can do that, if that's the criteria.

So, can you confirm then that outer boundaries are always stored in
one direction, and islands/holes are stored in the other?
[ I'm not familiar with the TT file format.  I could experiment, but
I'd rather not base my final solution just on observations... ]

Many thanks for the info!
Ian