Re: [ft] Unicodes from 2500-256C

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Unicodes from 2500-256C
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:05:54 +0100 (CET)

> When i am trying character range from 0x2500 to 0x256c (Box Drawing
> Range), the bitmap data i am getting is not how i expected.  I am
> using MONOCHROME Bitmap.

arial.ttf (I tried version 3.00) doesn't contain any hints for these
glyphs.  In other words, they haven't been optimized for monochrome
rendering which means that you have to expect bad results.

cour.ttf (version 2.9) does proper hinting.

> For 0x2500 it is supposed to be 0xFF where in i am getting 0x7F.
> This unicode i am using for drawing a lines. As i am getting 7F for
> Arial or Courier (these are the only fonts i tried) there are spaces
> in between line,instead to be continuous.

Viewing cour.ttf with ftview at 12ppem, I can't see a problem – the
extra horizontal space of one pixel between glyphs in this application
is intentional and not normally present if you render a glyph string.

> Also, When i use courier (This is of fixed width font right) ,from
> 0x00 to 0xffff i am getting everything a byte for each row ( for
> font height 12),just for 0x6d (letter "m") each row is coming upto 2
> bytes, but still the second byte is zero. bbox.xmax is 9 only for
> "m" but for all others from 0x00 to 0xFFFF its 8 or below 8. Why is
> it weird???

I don't understand what you are saying.  Please provide a small
compilable code snippet which demonstrates your problem.