Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:47:27 +0100 (CET)

> What steps are involved in enabling LCD rendering?  Is it just a
> flag to load glyph/render glyph?  Just want to make sure I'm doing a
> proper test of it.

Two things are necessary:

  . Use an LCD rendering mode (FreeType offers four of them).

  . Do proper colour filtering (see the documentation of
    FT_Render_Mode for some details), which is of extreme importance
    to get good visual results.

    Note that Microsoft holds patents on certain filtering techniques
    which you might explore by defining
    FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING.  However, you can do your
    own, different filtering which is not protected by patents.