Re: [ft] Size of space character

From: Adam Twardoch
Subject: Re: [ft] Size of space character
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:05:58 +0100

AlannY wrote:
> And what can I do? I need a width of space for rendering text...

I don't understand how you would use FT_Glyph_Get_CBox for getting the
metric information for typesetting. FT_Glyph_Get_CBox only returns the
width of the "ink" but for rendering text you need the metric
information (glyph widths and sidebearings) as well as kerning, and
potentially OpenType positioning.

I'd recommend using a higher-level library for rendering text that
supports OpenType Layout, such as HarfBuzz or ICU Layout. It will sort
out your potential problems not only for English or Russian but also for
Arabic and Indic languages, for example.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
(Hunter S. Thompson)