[ft] Spacing/hinting problem with a Microsoft font

From: Mario Goebbels
Subject: [ft] Spacing/hinting problem with a Microsoft font
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:38:22 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get one of the new Office 2007 fonts working
correctly under FreeType. The font in question is Calibri. Where I'm
encountering problems are letters like T, Y, V.

Best example is the letter T, where any follow up letter, that fits
under the top horizontal line of the T, will be squeezed under it.
Similar effects also happen with other letters. See the image attached.

Is this an issue with the font, FreeType, or does it happen somewhere
else? Can it be solved?

OpenOffice for instance renders it fine, but then again, I guess it does
most of glyph placement on its own. But I've also seen screenshots,
where Calibri is supposedly being used and doesn't show these rendering
problems.

Currently using FreeType 2.3.5 on Solaris Nevada snv_65 and X.org 7.2.

Thanks for any help,
-mg