[ft] Re: [ft-devel] New FreeType proofing tool: ftdiff

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: [ft] Re: [ft-devel] New FreeType proofing tool: ftdiff
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:27:40 -0400

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 10:47 -0400, David Turner wrote:
> I'd like to see this enhancement spreading as widely as possible. I've
> already tried to scan the Pango sources to see how to implement these, but
> I must say this is not an easy piece of code. Any help would be appreciated,
> there are countless other libraries to touch, like libXft, Cairo, FireFox,
> ThunderBird, OpenOffice.org, Poppler. This certainly not a small work, but
> I think the payoff can be quite big.

Thanks David.  Owen and I discussed this the other day and have the
following plan to bring lsd/rsb deltas support to Pango:

  - In cairo 1.6, add API for a transparent or opaque
cairo_glyph_metrics_t, that allows fetching rsb/lsb deltas for a glyph.

  - In pangofc, add backend methods for accessing them.

  - Use them in pango-ot-buffer.c:apply_gpos_*() and in
pango_fc_font_kern_glyphs().  Search for PANGO_UNITS_ROUND in those
functions in Pango trunk.

I don't think it's worth implementing anything for cairo's toy text api.

Cheers,

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/