Re: [ft] Type 1 font rendering seems wrong.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Type 1 font rendering seems wrong.
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 05:52:47 +0100 (CET)

> Adobe reader actually uses Adobe Sans MM to render the font. I'm
> pretty sure it has the same metrics as Helvetica. The trouble is,
> freetype seems to load it incorrectly. This is especially obvious in
> the lowercase t.

Hmm, the name `MM' means `Multiple Master'.  Playing around with
ftmulti, it seems that FreeType's rendering uses approx. the values
360/860 for the weight/width axes of AdobeSansMM.  On the other hand,
the xpdf rendering uses approx. 420/360 for the weight/width value
pair.

First of all you should use `strace' to find out whether acrobat,
xpdf, and your FreeType application indeed use the same MM font.

In case xpdf really uses this MM font, it seems that it adjusts the
width axis according to the metrics in the PDF on a per-glyph basis.
The different weight is probably due to different configuration
parameters.