Re: [ft] Easiest way to support very old 'typ1' fonts?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Easiest way to support very old 'typ1' fonts?
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:30:35 +0900

Hi,

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 01:18:33 +0100
Adam Twardoch <address@hidden> wrote:

>Derek,
>
>The LCDF tools from http://www.lcdf.org/type/ and Fondu from
>http://fondu.sourceforge.net/ may help to convert the fonts into plain
>PC-based Type 1 fonts.
>
>A.
>
>Derek Clegg wrote:
>> I have a collection of very old 'typ1' fonts for the Mac.  These
>> appear to be little more than a Type1 font wrapped in an 'sfnt'
>> wrapper.  Unfortunately, Freetype doesn't appear to support this
>> format.  I have a few questions:
>>     ___ Am I correct that Freetype doesn't support 'typ1' fonts, or have
>> I simply missed a configuration parameter somewhere?

You're correct. At present, FreeType2 has support for
suitcase font and LWFN PS font formats (there are 2
implements: via POSIX or via QuickDraw), but not for
"typ1" font, yet.

>>     ___ If they aren't supported, would it make sense to add support for
>> them, or are they simply too obsolete to bother with?

In my opinion, it makes sense and I'm (of course) willing
to support the format. Because there had been commercial
"typ1" fonts whose license prohibits to convert the font
to another formats. But I don't have sufficient sparetime
to add "typ1" support in next FreeType2 release.

Regards,
mpsuzuki