Re: [ft] Problem with Verdana Bold

From: Gordon Messmer
Subject: Re: [ft] Problem with Verdana Bold
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:59:47 -0800

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I can't get ftview to work:

[~/CVS/ft2demos/bin]> ./ftview pppem ~/buggy-font/verdanab.ttf
could not allocate display surface
  error = 0x0000

For me it works (see attached image).  Can you try to find out why
ftview fails?

It probably was built on a system that didn't have the X11 development packages installed.

I just noticed that FC6 ships with such a broken ftview, and the README file in the "ft2demos" directory seems to suggest that this would be the cause of the problem. I'm not familiar with FC's build system, but if they intentionally avoid circular dependencies, they probably won't ship a working ftview in the future, either (unless they break freetype-demos into its own src.rpm)