Re: [ft] Regression in rendering quality with subpixel antialiasing

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] Regression in rendering quality with subpixel antialiasing
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:02:02 +0200

> Psst, if Steve reads this it really might happen. Then, after the update
> to Etch about 40 group members will complain about blurry fonts and in end I
> have to regularily recompile another package... (though probably I won't
> be in this group anymore that time).

Most other distributions have *not* enabled the bytecode interpreter, and I
don't
see many people screaming about it. For the difficult ones, simply explain them
that it has been disabled exactly for the same reason why MP3 playback oe DVD
decoding are not available by default and need tweaks.

> [...]
> However, I already wrote in my first mail, that full subpixel hinting
> doesn't
> entirely help e.g. with OpenOffice. I have uploaded two new shots.
>
> http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/freetype-snapshots/3-old_full_sub.png
> http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/freetype-snapshots/3-new_full_sub.png
>
> I think you can see that 3-old_full_sub.png looks better than
> 3-new_full_sub.png. Do you have an idea whats going on?

Obviously, the "old" one is using bytecode interpretation, while the "new" one
is
the result of auto-hinting. I don't know much about OpenOffice though

Regards,

- David Turner