Re: [ft] Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release

From: Will Newton
Subject: Re: [ft] Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:02:00 +0000

On Saturday 21 January 2006 08:33, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > Have a look at
> >
> >   http://freetype.org/freetype2/freetype-2.2.0.html
> >
> > which discusses some important issues with the forthcoming 2.2.0
> > release.
>
> A new version which makes such a radical change should bump up the
> shared object version (.so.N). That way we'll allow a transition period
> for applications to update.

That sounds like a good idea. An SONAME change would be beneficial for the
Debian packages - we can then implement a transition plan making it
impossible to install libfreetype6 and libfreetype7 at the same time.

If you wish to avoid problems with indirect dependencies it is possible to use
versioned symbols a la glibc in future.