Re: [ft] Vertical layout

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Vertical layout
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:51:42 +0200 (CEST)

> However, now it turns out that SimSun font has vertical advance
> smaller than bbox height for latin characters (check E, for
> example).  As a result, upright English text in vertical layout,
> becomes too condensed.

I consider this as a bug in the font.

> Adobe Illustrator displays vertical English text (upright) fine
> however.

This app is either doing something special with latin glyphs in
vertical context, or it silently fixes the problematic vertical
advance heights.

> It should mean they do not take the vadvance into consideration. So
> should the vertical advance be ignored, or is there some tricks to
> detect faulty fonts and ignore it only for them?

I suspect that for a CJK font, only vertical heights of CJK glyphs are
reliable -- in vertically written CJK texts, all latin texts are
rotated by 90 degrees normally, instead of stacking them vertically.