Re: [ft] Simple CL Tool

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [ft] Simple CL Tool
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:14:50 +0200

Shug Boabby <address@hidden>:

> does anyone know of a commandline tool which would render a string
> into a pretty PNG file,

No.

On the other hand, I know of a commandline tool that will render a
string into an ugly GIF file.

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/ttfgif.tar.gz

Trouble is, it uses FreeType 1 (long obsolete).  It should be trivial
to update to use FreeType 2 and libpng instead of FreeType 1 and giflib.

The license it comes with is (from ttfgif.c):

  /* Feel free to use it as long as you don't ask me to maintain it. */

but I'll be glad to distribute it under any licensing conditions you
find useful as long as my rights to your first born are preserved.

                                        Juliusz