Re: [ft] Rendering of Taiwan fonts

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Rendering of Taiwan fonts
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 03:58:01 +0900

Hi,

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:20:45 +0200
"Michal Kuzel" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I am trying to use FreeType 2.1.10 to render Arabic, Taiwan fonts to bitmap.
>Unfortunatelly I do not know if it is possible to render text not per letter
>basis (render each letter separately that works fine) but as a whole (the
>result should be different than in the first case). Please, is it possible
>to do it with this library? If so, can you provide me a sample how to do it,
>please?

You cannot, because Arabic text rendering requires complexed
text layout functionalities that FreeType 2.1.10 does not include.
If your Taiwanese text is encoded appropriate charcode (which
is supported by the font), rendering Taiwanese text won't be
difficult for horizontal writing mode.

If you're looking for libraries with complexed text layout
functionalities for Arabic etc, please check Pango, ICU, and
m17n-lib.

Regards,
mpsuzuki