[ft] Internal cache questions

From: Alex
Subject: [ft] Internal cache questions
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 03:33:05 -0300 (ART)

    Hi!
    I'm really new to FreeType and would like to
receive some feedback from you experienced users :)
I've read the FreeType docs regarding the internal
cache system, but I'm not good enough to understand it
and adapt it to my current source. Could you, please,
take a look at my code at
http://majin.i-blog.net/majinft.zip (uses C++ and
OpenGL) and answer me:

    1) It is worth worrying about this internal cache
system? Is there critical speed or memory consumption
improvements?

    2) What is the right thing to do, since the manual
says "Client applications should not open new FT_Face
objects directly with FT_New_Face"? Could you
exemplify directly into the code?

    Thanks a lot!!!

PS.: As you can see from the source, I'm already using
an external font cache based on {font name, font
size}, but that doesn't help me when I need to build
dozens of different sized fonts with the same font
name. On the other side, cached FT_Size's won't make a
difference;

PS.: My code is based on Sven Olsen's tutorial at NeHe
(http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=43);

PS.: If you like it, feel free to use at your ouwn
risk :) and tell me if you had found a bug;

Yahoo! Mail, cada vez melhor: agora com 1GB de espaço grátis!
http://mail.yahoo.com.br