Re: [ft] scalable font metrics, ascent/descent/height, metrics struct

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] scalable font metrics, ascent/descent/height, metrics struct
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:11:00 +0200 (CEST)

> I have compiled a file documenting different metrics I have come
> across (see attached rtf.)

Nice!  Note that FreeType tries to hide (resp. unify) the various
metrics definitions as much as possible.

> 1. What is the best way to get the ascent and descent values for Latin
> characters?  (effectively 'A' to 'Z' and 'a' to 'z'.)

This is only 52 glyphs.  Simply get the metrics of them and do the
calculation by yourself!  BTW, there is another complication: Many
glyphs have some vertical `overshoot' so that they are slightly larger
than the (global) ascent value of the font.  This is an optical
correction normally done for glyphs with round shapes at the top or
bottom.  Examples are glyph `o' or `m'.

> 2. What is "AFM file" as mentioned in sTypoAscender and sTypoDescender
> documentation?

Adobe Font Metrics files are text files which accompany Type 1
PostScript fonts (which don't contain metrics information).  On
Windows box you'll sometimes fine PFM files which are something
similar.