[ft] Thick contours

From: Laurent Auneau
Subject: [ft] Thick contours
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:35:58 +0200

As the attached screenshot shows, I’d like to render “outlined” fonts. On the left, this is the Photoshop version, on the right this is mine.

I don’t know how Photoshop does, but my method is quite simple:

- I render 4 times in black, with a 1 pixel offset in X and Y -> it gives (x+1, y+1), then (x-1, y+1), then (x-1, y-1), and finally (x+1, y-1)

- Then I render in white on top of that on location (x, y)

My rendering is pixel aligned, and the generated texture font too (it’s an OpenGL application, so I render all glyphs in a memory texture for faster access). I use exactly the same font in all 5 render steps. As an example, I attached you the plain standard rendering at the same size (Standard font.bmp) I made using FreeType.

As you can see the result for the outline is quite deceiving, would you have any advice on this? I’d like to have the best result possible …

(sorry David for the private mail I sent you before subscribing to the mailing list)

Kind regards