RE: [Freetype] how to make font bold,italic or underline....

From: Giuliano Pochini
Subject: RE: [Freetype] how to make font bold,italic or underline....
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:47:17 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Artem Omelianchuk wrote:

> >You have to use a bold font.
> Where I can get it? You mean, for example Arial->Arial Bold?

Yes.

> >You can fake the bold effect by printing the
> >characters several times with small offsets from the requested
> position.
> >It's about the same method old 9-pins printers used to print bold
> fonts.
> I think it's too complicated, and how to make underline?

No, it's not, but it's slow. For example if you usually do

Printf("string", x, y);

You can to do (it also depends on its size):

Printf("string", x, y);
Printf("string", x+1, y);
Printf("string", x-1, y);
Printf("string", x, y+1);
Printf("string", x, y-1);

> I expect that exist flag(maybe FT_STYLE_FLAG_ITALIC) or function to
> change font view.

Italic is different. You can emulate it with a shear transform. Use
FT_Set_Transform(). Search in the archives of this ml, both bold and
italics effects have been already discussed in the past. I don't know
about the underline.

--
Giuliano.