Re: [Freetype] newbe to freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] newbe to freetype
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:41:59 +0100 (CET)

> Currently I am writting an application under Window XP with MFC 6.0,
> and there is a need for me to load the truetype font and allow the
> user to modify any of the character set (for example, change the
> shape of the character A), then save the modified character set to
> another truetype font file (even the user may not modify all of the
> characters).  I now know how to load the file to MFC program and get
> the glyph outlines, but I don't know how to save them to another
> truetype font file.
>
>  My questions:
>
> 1> Will freetype the right one for me to use?

No.  It is mainly a library to rasterize outlines to a bitmap, not to
modify outlines.

> 2>Does MFC (or standard C/C++) program provides any function for me
> to call so that I can output the file to truetype format?

If you work on Unix (or Mac OS X), you can try fontforge (from
fontforge.sf.net) which is a free font editor, capable of anything you
want to do.  You might also have a look at fonttools.sf.net, which
hosts ttx, and TrueType font disassember and assembler.