[Freetype] freetype - is a 2 pixel depth renderer available?

From: Kerslake, John
Subject: [Freetype] freetype - is a 2 pixel depth renderer available?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:57:02 -0000

Hello,
we have an application for freetype that requires a 2 pixel depth image to be produced.

I understand from the freetype documentation that there are 2 renderers available one for monochrome (ft_render_mode_mono) and one for 8-bit / 256 gray levels (ft_render_mode_normal).

Is there a 2 pixel depth renderer available (4 gray levels) ?
or can you give advice on how difficult it is to write a new renderer for this application ?

regards
john

==============================
John Kerslake