Re: [Freetype] Problems rendering glyphs from .FON files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Problems rendering glyphs from .FON files
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:25:19 +0200 (CEST)

> I am doing some development work with .FON fixed fonts on Linux
> (RH9, but I am using freetype 2 from source, not from RPM package).
> I am having some problems with the font rendering with freetype 2.
> The fonts appear ok with freetype 2.0.9, but with 2.1.4, the glyph
> renderings come out scrambled.  The scambled rendering has a pattern
> where the first byte is rendered correctly (using mono mode
> rendering), but the next byte of data is the row of pixels below the
> downloading the latest version in CVS and that one scrambles the
> renderings differently and hands back the wrong pitch size.  Is this
> a known problem with .FON support?

It should work (again).  Please test.

> I also noticed that all renderings with .FON formatted fonts are
> automatically done in 1 bit bitmap format, even when I set the
> rendering mode to FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL.  The documentation says I
> should get an 8-bit per pixel bitmap when using that optional flag.

The documentation only talks about conversion outlines to bitmaps.

I've added the following to the description of FT_Render_Mode:

  For bitmap fonts the `bitmap->pixel_mode' field in the
  @FT_GlyphSlotRec structure gives the format of the returned
  bitmap.

Thanks for pointing this out.

> Is there anyway I can get freetype 2 to render in 256 gray shade (I
> want the pixel depth to be 8 bit even if only black and white values
> of 0 and 255 are used)?

No.  You have to do it yourself.