Re: [Freetype] Font Fusion vs. Freetype?

From: Thibault Jamme
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Font Fusion vs. Freetype?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:45:38 +0000

Hi,

>Asking a question like this on a FreeType mailing list is not likely to give you unbiased replies, like asking Sampo Kaasila (developer of FontFusion) is not likely to give you an unbiased opinion about FreeType.

Well, please intelligent people raise their right hand. The rest can bitch.

FreeType and FontFusion don't appear to be in the same business. For one thing FreeType is free, FontFusion is a commercial product.

FreeType is a collective effort that addresses a collective need.

I don't think anyone here should shy away with a comparison, but rather welcome any test result. If FreeType is better, then let's boast. If not, well then we have a useful reference to measure against (I saw some clean screen shots at FontFusion) and possibly some goals set.

I am very curious indeed to see a comparison. Whatever result is not going to stop me from using FreeType as it is not viable for me to pay for a licence - at least now. FreeType answers some needs extremely well. Since FreeType does not rely on income (at least directly), competition is a non-issue. And here you have a direct link with the developers. Someone may well prototype or learn with FreeType and then sell a FontFusion prototype.

So if anyone can put together some comparisons, let's see them.

Cheers all,
Teebo

The Village is at http://village.glaine.net/

YOU have the power: http://www.glaine.net/