RE: [Freetype] Where can I find a decent introduction to text layout?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: RE: [Freetype] Where can I find a decent introduction to text layout?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:35:17 -0800

   >>I really don't understand why you wouldn't be
   >>able to use ICU. Its license is very liberal
   >>and shouldn't be a problem for you, and it already
   >>supports all the scripts you're interested in it.

I'll look into it. What seems harmless to us may or may not
be a big issue with corporate lawyers. For example, we have
been told that we cannot use STLPort due to intellectual
property legal issues. Who would have thought? ICU is rather
large, and the larger something is, the more scary it becomes
to intellectual property lawyers.

   >>There is also Pango, which is LGPL-ed and thus
   >>probably unusable on the PlayStation and GameCube.

LGPL software is completely out of the question. The LGPL,
regardless of any intentions the authors may have had, makes
many corporate lawyers run screaming in the opposite direction.

   >>In case you'd really like to start your own thing,
   >>you should look at the Unicode Book, every version of
   >>it has some very good description of the algorithm
   >>required to properly layout bi-directionnal text, and
   >>this certainly isn't trivial :-)

I've got that book, and it is one of the most useful books I
have on the subject.