Re: [Freetype] Licence issues

From: Thibault Jamme
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Licence issues
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:24:23 +0000

Hi,

Thank you very much to Edward and Antoine for getting back to me on the licences issue quickly and informatively. More on that soon.

>Use the "unstable" (...) pre-release of 1.5....
>If you experiment some of them, please report ASAP).

Short answer: all works as whatever version I was using before
(1 year ago at least)

Long answer:

+ A lot of hair scratching as once compiled with the .ide file suitable for my Borland C++ 5 compiler I got a library whose function names apparently lack a preceding underscore - although the option is correctly (ie. 'Standardly') checked in your project. This is in fact coming from your optimization setting (same as in the makefile.BC BTW for command line compilation) to use the register calling convention. This is fine and justified however my project uses standard 'C' calling convention. When I changed my project to 'Register' then I got thrown out as I am using the qsort function which does NOT like being passed register type functions. This causes a fatal compile error.
So I had to (sniff) compile freetype with the C calling convention.

Does anyone know if I can glue together a Register based lib to a C based project? Otherwise mentioning that issue in the Howto would be a good idea.

+ The ide project compiles to freetype.lib whereas the makefile.BC compiles to libttf.lib. Is this what was intended?

+ I tested by dumping all the fonts in my Winnt fonts directory onto a bitmap.
  See: http://www.aptilis.com/freetype/test.gif

  Keeping in mind that:
  - The Tooneyno font does not appear to define lower case letters
    (I checked in Paintbbrush)

- I do not do anything with cmaps and use a dirty cast or simple ASCII code transcription to get the glyph index. ie. opens___.ttf is most probably my fault.

  - I have auto-hinting enabled. I'm in the UK: software patents don't apply.
    (Yet?)

+ The Aptilis code that generates the bitmap can be seen at the bottom of this message. If anyone wants the latest build, ask me and I'll send it to you. The user's guide is at: http://www.aptilis.com/

Rgds,
Teebo

sub main

        cd = getCurrentDirectory() $

        p = "c:/winnt/fonts/" $
        changeDirectory(p$)

        n = GetFileList(f[], "*.ttf") $

        // A blank run - to find our size requirements.

        b = createBitmap(1, 1)

        motto = "Aptilis Rules!" $

        h = 20
        w = 0

        for i=0 to n - 1

                print(f[i]$, "\n")

                setFont(b, p + f[i]$, 20)
                getStringMetrics(b, mt[], motto$)

                if mt[0] > w
                        w= mt[0]
                end if

                h = h + mt[1] + 50

        end for

        deleteBitmap(b)

        w = w + 40

        // Now the real bitmap.
        b = createBitmap(w, h)
        clearBitmap(b, RGB(255, 255, 255))
        y = 20

        for i=0 to n - 1

                // System font - embedded bitmaps
                setFont(b, "")
                printAt(b, 20, y, f[i] + ":"$, RGB(200, 0, 0))

                y = y + 16

                // The True Type font.
                setFont(b, p + f[i]$, 20)
                printAt(b, 20, y, motto$, RGB(0, 0, 0))