Re: [Freetype] A problem on using fonttootf problem

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] A problem on using fonttootf problem
Date: 13 Oct 2002 22:31:26 +0100

Is that offtopic?

JL> In sometimes earily, there is a discussion on improving bdf based
JL> fonts in XFree86, so that, we can use with fontconfig/freetype.

To summarise, FreeType likes to seek within fonts, and I like the way
FreeType seeks within fonts.

The BDF format is intrinsically not a seekable format.  The PCF format
*is* a seekable format, but due to a flaw it has, it needs to be
compressed, which makes it non-seekable.

Rather than creating Yet Another Incompatible Variant of PCF, I'm
toying with the idea of using Apple's sfnt format for bitmap fonts --
currently known as OpenType.  Notwithstanding a number of weird
features, I feel that sfnt is a well-designed format.

Note that this is all at the experimentation stage -- I'm still trying
to convince myself whether it's a good idea.  Unfortunately, I do not
have any free time for hacking currently.

JL> There is rumor that, the BDF fonts of XFree86 will shift to OTF
JL> format after some time.

This rumour is unfounded.  I am trying to decide whether this is the
way to go.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz